Architect: Eppstein Uhen Architects
Owner: Graceville, LLC
Contractor: Beyer Construction
This project involves a five-story multi-tenant adaptive reuse addition onto an historic building and the renovation of offices for a growing advertising agency. The building in Milwaukee’s Historic Third Ward District was originally built in 1909. The challenge was to design an infill office building that offers a modern interpretation of the historic neighborhood’s material use, rhythms and patterns while blending the architecture into the historic fabric of the rapidly evolving neighborhood. A lobby with soaring spaces open to the second floor provides abundant daylight with an artfully displayed exposed structure. To increase collaboration and efficiencies, the advertising agency worked with the design team on the addition and renovation that consolidates staff into one continuous space on the second floor. Clean lines and a branded palette frame the office space, transitioning seamlessly from the existing warehouse to the new office addition. The office includes adaptable and collaborative employee work areas, formal conference rooms and informal enclaves and touch down spaces. A new feature, an expansive rooftop deck with views to Lake Michigan adds to the vibrancy and vitality of the urban neighborhood.
Jury Comment: “We appreciate the way the building blends into the historic urban fabric – similar proportions without aping what was there before. The interior lighting solution is terrific. The integration of old and new is very clean and clear. We’d like to work here.”
Photos: C&N Photography