Architect: Eppstein Uhen Architects
Owner: Goddman Community Center
Contractor: Vogel Bros. Building Company
Originally built in 1918, the nationally registered historic building, Madison Brass Works, is located across the street from the community center and along the Capital City Bike Path. Having undergone numerous additions through 1959, the design team worked closely with GCC to identify areas in the former brass manufacturing building that were suitable for both new construction and adaptive re-use.
Remnants of the former manufacturing business were removed, revealing the raw beauty of this industrial building's structural bones. Historic elements of the original building were incorporated into the design including masonry walls built in 1918 and segmental-arched trusses. These barrel-vaulted arches in the two large multipurpose spaces were cleaned and reinforced. The steel-frame roof monitors, original to the building, provide a wonderfully day-lit, open and bright space. Exposed concrete in the basement provides a durable and industrial aesthetic in the large teen lounge area.
The second level houses the GCC offices, supporting their need to balance flexibility, privacy and open collaboration. The main conference room on this level consists of floor-to-ceiling glazing that provides a visual connection to the lobby and showcases the view to the existing community center across the street, increasing the feeling of connectedness throughout the campus. In the lobby below, visitors are met with an open stair featuring a beetle kill pine slat art display, the reconstructed 1918 masonry wall and an industrial steel screen proudly featuring the LED illuminated Goodman Community Center logo.
A large part of the design intent was to honor and preserve the history of the existing structure, such as the unusually shaped triangular parcel, while integrating an addition to meet the space needs of the Center. This was accomplished by weaving old and new components of the building together in structural details throughout the building. Another challenge was to increase the height in the lower-level commercial kitchen. In order to gain the desired height, the floor was excavated an additional foot and the bottoms of the existing columns were extended to match.
Photos: C&N Photography